If you are looking for places to visit in Papanasam, surprisingly there are so many picnic spots you could go to. Papanasam is a small village located 60 kms from Tirunelveli city, falls under Ambasamudram taluk.
Papanasam is a must visit place once in your life time because it is a house for waterfalls, rivers, dams, green fields and historical temples. And all the goodnesses surrounded by hills and forests is a sight to sore eyes.
(Note: there is another place called “Papanasam” near Kumbakonam, also a famous place in Tamilnadu, mostly for temples).
Places to Visit in Papanasam with Distances
Here is a quick look at the sightseeing places to visit in and around Papanasam, Tirunelveli district:
- In Papanasam – Ancient LordShiva temple at the foot of Agasthiyar Falls
- Papanasam to Manimuthar (waterfalls and dam) – 14 kms
- Papanasam to Manjolai (Tea estates) – 65 kms (via Manimutharu)
- Papanasam to Courtallam – 34 kms
- Papanasam to Tirumalai kovil, Panpoli – 50 kms (via Ilanji and Tenkasi)
- Papanasam to Ilanji Kumarar Temple – 37 kms
- Papanasam to Tenkasi Ancient Ulagamman and Kasi Vishwanathar temple- 34 kms
- Tenkasi to Courtallam – 5.5 kms
- Papanasam to Tirunelveli – 60 kms
I know it is not practically possible to look at all places in Papanasam, here are some popular places to visit in Papanasam in one or two days.
Take a dip in Agasthiyar Waterfalls and Visit Papanasanathar Sivan Temple
- This famous Hindu temple is located at the foot of Agasthiyar Forest and Waterfalls at the distance of 2.7kms.
- All the vehicles are allowed up to the foothill of waterfalls. There is toilet and dress change facilities near the parking.
- No entry fee to enter the forest but a nominal fee for the waterfalls entry. No special fee for cameras.
- Forest and waterfalls entry is restricted after 5 PM.
- The famous Lord Siva temple is called as Papanasanathar or Mukkalanathar, lingam in the main sanctum is believed to be one of the 9 planetary deities – Lord Suriya.
- This temple is one of the nava kailasam temples on the banks of Thamirabarani river and thus famously called Suriyan temple.
Read Related – Places to Visit in Tirunelveli In One day
Places to Visit near Papanasam – Courtallam Main falls, Courtallam Five falls and Tenkasi
- Courtallam ranks top in the places to visit in Papanasam Tirunelveli.
- Not much intro is required for this famous place in Tirunelveli district, the locals call it as Kuttalam, otherwise called Courtallam, is house for many rivers and waterfalls.
- Since the Nickname “Spa of South India”.
- Distance from Papanasam to Courtallam is 34 kms.
- This place is said to be the origin of rivers namely – Chittar river, Manimuthar river, Pachaiyar river, Thamirabarani river.
- Most people visit Courtallam mainly for taking a dip in the main falls and pray to lord Siva.
- You have toilet and dress change facilities here near the car parking area.
- You could also visit courtallam five falls – Series of 5 small river cascades above a shallow pond, with separate bathing areas for men & women.
- June to September are the best months to visit courtallam, later the entry is closed to waterfalls due to heavy rain and floods.
- The famous Lord Kutralanathar temple (Lord Siva) is located at the foot of the main falls – Peraruvi.
- This temple is one of the Pancha Sabhai Sthalangal, refer to the places where Lord Nataraja performed his cosmic dance.
Tenkasi is just 5.5 kms From Courtallam- house for one of the biggest temples in Tamilnadu
- Tenkasi is the 34th district in Tamilnadu since 2019. This small town is built around the very famous, majestic dravidian style of architecture – Kasi Vishwanathar Ulagamman temple.
- It is firmly believed that worshipping lord Siva in this temple would bring in as much benefits to the devotees as praying in Kasi – Varanasi.
- This temple is notably famous for the swayambhu murti of Lord Siva, 180 feet artistic – majestic gopuram and exquisite beauty of the temple sculptures are world known.
Places to Visit Near Papanasam – Manimuthar Dam and Waterfalls
- Another important places to visit in Papanasam is Manimuthar dam and waterfalls, about 14 kms from Papanasam.
- If you are travelling from Tirunelveli to visit Papanasam, spend some time in Manimuthar dam before heading towards Papanasam.
- Situated above 6kms from Manimuthar dam is Manimuthar waterfalls and river, with the entry fee of 25 rupees per person. Camera fees extra.
Places to visit Near Papanasam – Manjolai
- If you are travelling from Tirunelveli, Manjolai is another tourist place to stop before heading to Manimuthar and Papanasam.
- Located on top of the Manimuthar dam is Manjolai, about 23 kms from Manimuthar and about 63 km from Tirunelveli, is famous for tea plantations -Manjolai Estate, Manimutharu Estate & Oothu Estate.
Famous Temples in and around Papanasam with distances
- Papanasanathar Sivan Temple, Papanasam
- Kutralanathar Sivan Temple, Courtallam, 34 kms
- Kasi Viswanathar Temple, Tenkasi, 34 kms
- Shri Ilanji Kumarar Koil – Ilanji ,37 kms
- Tirumala Koil -Panpoli, 50 kms
- Thooranamalai Sri Murugan Koil – Perumpattu, 25 kms
- Sri Nithya Kalyani Amman Temple, Kilakadayam, 19 kms
- Ponmalai Murugan Temple, Pulavanoor, 20 kms
Here is how you can plan one day trip from Tirunelveli to Papanasam –
- Tirunelveli – Manjolai – Manimuthar dam (skip waterfalls) – Agasthiyar falls – Papanasam Sivan temple.
- Tirunelveli – Papanasam – Courtallam.
If you have a plan to stay in Courtallam then you can plan for Courtallam waterfalls and trekking, visit to all other places mentioned above.