I have 2 recipes to share on how to make black coffee, one is with instant coffee and another from a ground coffee powder which takes 10 mins to boil in water.
All my life I had regular coffee, yet I didn’t know that the coffee tasted best when no milk added in it. Also it serves as a best pre-workout drink anytime in a day with less than 10 calories in the black coffee.
When I was living in London for my Management studies I learned about this magical potion where everyone loved to drink many cups a day. Contrast to the fact that British love their tea, I found that they had equal love for coffee.
They have it in the morning with cookies, afternoon after lunch and during the meetups. If you are taking public transport in the morning, it is a common sight to see people carrying Starbucks or McDonald’s coffee, sipping along the way to their destinations.
It sounded funny to spend 150 to 250 rupees on just a coffee. Soon I found myself buying one to the classrooms, I blamed the weather. I have tried all kinds like espressos, cappuccinos, Italiano – one of the main reasons I have gained that extra weight and thanks to the burgers as well.
What I have not tried while I was there was the cream toppings and ice cream toppings on the coffee. While I am still working hard to lose those extra weight gained over double espressos, I still have the habit of drinking Black coffee daily. And as per many health magazines, black coffee is the best pre-workout drink to have.
And best of all my co-work office has the Cafe Coffee day coffee machine, where I have access to unlimited black coffee all day.
Work or Travel or being at home, this is how to make black coffee to stay awake and be active.
How to Make Black Coffee from Instant Coffee Powder
I am a traveler and a coffee lover. People who follow my blog knows wherever we travel I prefer to drink black coffee, while hubby prefers Cappuccino or a degree coffee. Here, I have explained in detail on how to make black coffee at home using various methods. Enjoy this very detailed article along with my coffee making pics at home.
Method A – Making Black Coffee Using Gas stove or Induction Stove top or Electric coil
For the much awaited Black coffee recipe, let’s start with the easy one.
How to make Black coffee at Home or at hostel using an instant coffee powder?
This method takes exactly 1 min for preparation.
- Take one cup of water to make 1 cup of coffee in a saucepan.
- While water is boiling, take a coffee mug, add 1 teaspoon of your favorite instant coffee powder (Nescafe or Bru or anything).
- Add 1 tablespoon of your favorite sugar (palm sugar or white processed sugar).
- Now add the hot water into the ingredients in the coffee mug.
- Mix well before you drink.
Enjoy the black coffee with the cookies or croissants.
Coffee Making Tips While Using Induction Stovetop
- For induction stove top, you need to have induction compatible saucepan like this one. I have a saucepan which is both gas and induction stove compatible. Makes life much easier.
- Instant coffee powder sachets are available in the market or online, you could buy in sachets for the first time. If you are regularly preparing black coffee, then buy an economy packs and transfer into an airtight container. Economic packs are less price than the bottled ones. Also, 2 rupee sachets are cost effective for beginners, best to buy in the stores than buying from online, because in online sachets are sold only in bulk quantity.
- You can boil extra water if you would like, so if the coffee is too strong, you could add a little more water to your coffee to bring it to your taste. What if the coffee is too light? Then to make it strong add little coffee powder, since it is instant coffee powder it will dissolve immediately, so no worries.
- The best part of this instant coffee powder is – You can very well make an instant degree coffee or cappuccino with milk. It comes handy if you want to serve milk coffee to your family or guests. Find the recipe below.
For instant degree coffee – take half cup of water and half a cup of milk in a saucepan, bring it to boil, pour hot into a coffee mug with 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder and sugar. Mix well. Enjoy.
- Ok, no time to buy milk but want an instant milk coffee? Buy this Nescafe Gold Cappuccino packet, 1 sachet makes 1 cup of milk coffee, no need to add sugar, just add hot water into it, mix well and drink.
(I have given all amazon link of the products for your reference, you could buy from anywhere that suits your convenience).
Method B – How to Make Black Coffee Using Microwave oven
Nowadays there is an oven in every households, hostels and offices.
Learn this method to prepare black coffee anywhere instantly using a Microwave oven.
Especially when you don’t like the taste of machine cappuccinos or dip teas in the offices, you could carry either Nescafe or Bru sachets to office to make your own coffee instantly.
This is also an easy method to make instant black coffee, takes less than 1 min.
- Take 1 cup of water in a coffee mug to make 1 cup of black coffee.
- Use a good quality coffee mug to use in the microwave oven (always make sure that is microwave oven use before buying from online).
- Place the coffee mug in the Oven. Set the timer for 1 min.
- Now to the piping hot water, add 1 teaspoon or 1 small sachet of instant coffee powder and sugar as required.
- Mix well and enjoy your coffee.
At the end of this article I have given links for some cool coffee mugs that looks great to buy for office.
Coffee Making Tips While Using Microwave Oven
- If you are planning to buy a microwave oven for home or hostel use, plan to buy a very basic solo microwave oven. We might get carried away seeing the attractive discounts online, but advanced and fancy ones are just a waste of money. Same principle for buying induction stove, unless you cook all 3 meals in the induction cook top alone.
- Just for boiling water, reheating food items, making noodles, making popcorn – this cost – effective microwave oven is the best. Unless you have a plan to make a Barbeque or desserts, even in that case you could go for OTG oven which serves the purpose well instead of the costly 3-in-1 convection microwave ovens.
Method C – How to Make Black Coffee Using a Water Kettle
Trust me, if there is anything in the world that would make my easier and simpler all time is this – simple water kettle.
The cheap and best water kettle I found in Amazon some 5 yrs ago, it served well for more than 3 yrs and again bought the same one a second time in 2018.
With this super fast water kettle, you could make super fast hot water for making coffee, tea and cuppa noodles.It gives you hot water in less than a minute when you are down with fever.
You could boil milk.
You could make instant noodles and what not.
Literally a lifesaver when you are travelling. It fits perfectly in your travel bag. We carried this to our 11 days long bike trip to Kumbakonam in our bike saddle bag.
Whether the hotel is providing or not, I carry my water kettle with couple of Nescafe and sugar sachets.
Now it plays a vital role in my kitchen, I cannot think of running kitchen without this kettle.
I guess enough of this kettle love dose.
Okay, now how to prepare black coffee using this water kettle?
- Take 1 cup of water to make 1 cup of black coffee.
- Pour it in water kettle, switch on to let the water boil.
- It is ready in under 30 sec.
- Pour the hot water into the coffee mug with instant coffee powder and sugar.
- Mix well, enjoy your mornings.
You could make black coffee instantly in less than 30 sec using a water kettle, trust me, I have done it a million times.
How to Make Black coffee from the Ground Coffee Powder
Here comes the 2nd black coffee recipe – from the ground coffee powder. This recipe cannot be prepared in office as it is time consuming.
In the first method we saw how to make instant black coffee with instant coffee powder using the Stove, Microwave Oven and Water kettle in under 1 min.
But, this method takes 10 mins to prepare and gives strong aroma and tastes more like cafe black coffee.
- Take a saucepan, for 1 cup coffee add 2 cups of water. Since it is going to boil for 10 mins, you would need double the amount of water.
- Now place the saucepan on induction stove top or gas top, allow it to boil.
- Once the water starts boiling, add 1 teaspoon of your ground coffee powder to the boiling water. I use the brand Bayars, available in major stores in Bangalore. Next to Bayar’s I love these other brands too – Narasus, Kothas, CCD etc.,
- Now let it boil for 10 mins.
- Switch off the flame.
- Take a coffee mug, add 1 tablespoon of your favourite sugar.
- Now pour the boiled coffee into the cup using a steel strainer. Mix well.
(This is a good quality steel mesh you can buy for long life and stylish too).
Now enjoy your black coffee which tastes more like Starbucks or Cafe Coffee day coffee.
Note – Now you will also get Cafe coffee day brand ground coffee powders in the stores, and the preparation method and time is the same as the above. I use to buy CCD coffee powder to make black coffee at home. Bayars brand was recommended by my hubby 2yrs ago, since then it is our favourite ground coffee powder.
How to make Black coffee from the Office Coffee machine?
As I mentioned, I have CCD coffee machine in my office where I make my own strong black coffee. Since there is no direct “black coffee” option in the machine, sharing my recipe here.
If you too have CCD coffee machine in the office, then this black coffee recipe comes handy.
- Take one shot of Cappuccino in the coffee mug and add one shot of hot water, mix well, add sugar if required.
If you are new to trying this black coffee recipe then it might be a little strong for you. So, the little trick is to add some more water to make it to your preferred strength.
How I Like my Black Coffee and Best Snacks with it
I love black coffee anytime in a day but mandatory first thing in the morning, then soon after the first meal around 11 am. I prefer to drink without sugar to get the strong taste of coffee to awaken me from sleep. So I don’t bother buying any sugar free supplements,since I love plain black strong coffee.
During weekdays, coffee is the only luxury we can afford to have together, due to our different work schedules.
During weekends, our first coffee is more of welcoming the happy weekend. I start the weekend morning by making coffee, while hubby gets the coffee tray, arranges the butter to go with the croissants on the tray. By the time we have coffee it is almost noon time, calls for a short nap.
Then get ready to go eat in any of these favorite restaurants nearby home. Or sometimes we travel far to drink our first coffee in any of our favourite cafes in Bangalore highways. Yes, just for a good cup of coffee.
On rainy days or in the evenings, I make popcorn at home from ready -to -make popcorn sachets or make some onion pakoras, watch movies on the couch until dinner time.
Best weekends ever.
Instant Coffee Vs Ground Coffee
I remember from my childhood days that my granny used to make a regular coffee (with milk) using a then famous ground coffee powder called “Narasus”. Have you heard of that?. It used to come even in small 25g packages, smells so good and are precious in every household. The strong aroma emanating from Kitchen used to be a morning call for us, and I never missed a single day of coffee in my childhood days.
Ground coffee beans can be used to make degree coffee, it tastes better with milk only when filtered using a coffee filter.
- Ground coffee beans can be used to make black coffee (in cafe coffee day a.k.a CCD, they ground beans freshly for every cup of coffee customers order, you could see the beans on the dispenser in their coffee house)
- Instant coffee powder are the ready to use powdered coffee powder taste better for both black coffee and milk coffee i.e. regular coffee. Only water is required for making black coffee whereas both water and milk are required to make regular coffee using this instant powder.
The Best Water kettle to Make Black Coffee – Best for daily use and travel purpose
We always carry this water kettle when we know the hotel is not providing one. This super fast water kettle has many uses when used at home and during travel. You can make hot water in less than 1min, if you are afraid that you will catch a fever or cold in new location (as even bottled water cannot be trusted these days). Also, You can very well make black coffee or tea, even milk coffee or tea using this kettle. I can make my morning coffee the way I like it.
It fits well in our Bike travel saddle bags, which doesn’t take much space. You could stuff any snacks or toiletries inside the kettle to make maximum use of the space. And it is lightweight and easy to carry in bike or in a car.