Kumbakonam became one of the favorite cities when we went on a 3 days trip for Masi Maham Festival in the year 2017. Soon in the same year, we planned a 11 days bike trip from Bangalore to Kumbakonam for the love of its breathtaking temples and its serene beauty. So I can proudly say I know well about Kumbakonam like how well I know Bangalore. Famous temples in Kumbakonam and other important temples in and around Kumbakonam is covered in detail here.
I am giving list of (a) famous temples in the center town Kumbakonam and (b) famous temples around Kumbakonam (nearby temples in Kumbakonam from the main town) for both Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu temples.
Here are the list of Kumbakonam famous temples and must visit temples once in life time from our multiple road trip experiences.
Kumbakonam Famous For Temples and Known for Many other things
Hundreds of thousands of pilgrims flock this holy town on all auspicious days.
As I mentioned earlier, we first went to Kumbakonam for Masi Maham festival in the year 2017. Little did we know that time is that we are going to come back year after year to this beautiful temple town.
The famous temples in Kumbakonam and many other things people don’t know about.
- Kumbakonam is famous for “Navagraha temples” – a unique spiritual experience of visiting 9 planet gods in their individual houses.
- Kumbakonam is famous for “108 Divya Desam” temples – of 108 Historic Vishnu temples, 40 temples are in chola region (trichy -tanjore- kumbakonam belt).
- Kumbakonam is famous for “275 Devara Padal Petra Stalam” temples – Of 275 historic Lord Shiva Temples, 18 temples are in and around Kumbakonam town.
- Kumbakonam is famous for one of the largest manufacturers of Temple brass and bronze items.
- The Airavatesvara Temple built by Rajaraja Chola II (1146–73) during 12th century is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with the Brihadeeswara Temple at Thanjavur, the t Gangaikonda Cholapuram in Kumbakonam that are referred to as the Great Living Chola Temples (source – Wikipedia).
- Less known famous thing about Kumbakonam is that they are known for their unique handloom weaving of silk sarees. “Thirubhuvanam” is the place to look for power looms and sarees are available for buying in all shops in the centre town.
- The Flora and fauna of this town is very rich, thanks to the 3 rivers adorning the city, namely – Cauvery, Araslaru and Kollidam.
- Needless to say, Kumbakonam is wide known for its degree coffee. Every sip is a bliss.
(Because I am a coffee lover, I wouldn’t miss a chance to try good coffee).
Other than the above mentioned list of historic temples, there are hundreds of temples in and around the temples with equal beauty and architecture. First thing you notice in the temple town is the beauty of temples, small and big, in every corner of the streets. They are so big that it would even take some time to figure out the entrance to the temples.
Must See temples list in Kumbakonam
The following list of Kumbakonam famous temples are my most favorite and must see temples in Kumbakonam. I cannot give you the exact plan of where to start and where to end the temple trip. It is not practically possible actually. I can share my side of the story, hoping it would help you in planning your trip.
Here is a small list of temples if you are on a time constraint and want to cover them in a day or two. They are within 10km radius and are most beautiful temples you must visit them once in your life. You could skip going to Navagraha temples altogether unless you specifically wanted to go for some horoscope reasons.
These are the most famous temples in Kumbakonam, lets see them category wise.
List of Lord Shiva Temples in Kumbakonam
Let’s start with Lord Shiva temple for 2 reasons – they are open for darshan very early compared to Lord Vishnu Temples.
Click on the individual temples to get the google map link.
- Kudamookku – Adi Kumabeswarar Temple – Padal Petra Stalam
- Sri Nageswarar temple -Padal Petra Stalam
- Sri Someswar temple – Padal Petra Stalam
- Kottaiyur Shivan Temple – Padal Petra Stalam
- Kasi Vishwanathar Temple
- Abhi Mukheswarar Temple – Facing the Mahamaham tank
- Shri Airavatesvara Temple – UNESCO Heritage
Little Distance From Kumbakonam – Must visit famous Lord Shiva temples
- Thirusakthimuttam Temple,Padal Petra Temple – Padal Petra Stalam
- Gnanambiga Sametha Sri Thenupureeswarar Thirukovil – padal petra stalam
- Pazhayarai Vadathali Temple,Padal Petra Temple -padal petra stalam
- Sri Garbarakshambigai Temple Thirukarukavur (for child birth) – padal petra stalam – Very beautiful Goddess Parvathi
- Thirunariyur Shiva Temple – padal petra stalam (Also visit nearby Shri Saneeswaran Temple – Sani Stalam)
- Thiruvanjiyam Arulmigu Vanchinadha Swamy Thirukovil – Lord Yama Statue
- Sri Naganatha Swami Temple (Raghu Stalam) – Padal Petra Temple – Majestic Temple famous for Afternoon pooja on sundays to Planet Raghu.
- Thirumanancheri Shiva Temple -Padal Petra Temple
- Sri Kampahareswar Temple – Tirubhuvanam – Majestic Very Beautiful temple.
- Sri Mahalingaswamy Temple Thiruvidaimaruthur – Padal Petra Temple
- Gangai Konda Cholapuram Thiru Brihadeswarar Thirukkovil – UNESCO Heritage
List of Lord Vishnu Temples
These are the famous Lord Vishnu temples in the centre town Kumbakonam, all the following temples are connected with Mahamaham Festival.
- Chakrapani Temple – Vila Archanai which is usually performed to Lord Shiva is performed here for Lord Vishnu.
- Sarangapani temple – Lord Ranganathar residing on a big chariot mandap is the attraction here. And the temple is also breathtakingly huge.
- Ramaswamy temple – A Marvellous temple with intrinsic work of paintings depicting the Ramayanam.
- Varahaperumal Temple
- Rajagopalaswamy temple.
Little Distance From Center Town – Must visit famous Lord Vishnu temples around Kumbakonam
These are the list of Divya Desam temples situated nearby from centre town Kumbakonam.
- Sri Oppiliappan Temple
- Arulmigu Thiruppullamboothangudi Valvill Ramar Temple
- Sri Aandu Alakkum Ayyan Perumal Temple
- Shri Srinivasa Perumal Temple / Nachiyar kovil
- Sri Saranathan Perumal Temple
- Sri Sowri Raja Perumal Temple
- Gajendra Varadar Temple
Must See Temples list Around Kumbakonam
List of Lord Shiva Temples
- Thirumetrali Shiva Temple – Bramha Nandeeswarar Temple (Broken Lord Shiva temple with big Square Sivalinga)
- Pasupatheeswarar Temple –padal petra stalam
- Thiru Nallur KalyanaSundareswarar temple – padal petra stalam
- Palaivana Nathar Temple,Padal Petra Temple – padal petra stalam
- Sri Sivapuranathar Temple -padal petra stalam
- Sakkottai Shiva Temple – Sri Amirthakalasanathar Temple (raghu Stalam) -padal petra stalam
- Maruthanallur ShivaTemple -padal petra stalam
- Sri Swarnapureeswarar Temple -Alagaputhur Shiva Temple – Padal Petra stalam
- Tirupandurai Shiva Temple – padal petra stalam
- Sri Sornapureeshwarar Temple, Andankoil – padal petra stalam
- Thiruvirumpoolai Shiva Temple (Guru Stalam) – Padal Petra stalam
- Kovilvenni Shiva Temple – Padal Petra stalam
- Arulmigu Sathurangam Vallavan Temple – padal petra stalam
- Shri Amirthanayagi Samedha Naganathaswamy Temple (Raghu Kethu Parikara temple) -Padal Petra stalam
- Sri Saraparameswarar Temple -padal petra stalam
- Thirunaalur Meignanam Sivan Temple -padal petra stalam
- Kudavasal Koneswaran Shiva temple – padal petra stalam
- Thirukollampudur Shiva Temple -padal petra stalam
- Narthanapureeswarar Temple, Thalaiyalangadu (Lord Natarajar)
- Manakal Ayyampettai – padal petra stalam
- Karaiveera nathar Shiva Temple — padal petra stalam
- Shri Suryanar Kovil – Suriyan Stalam
- Sri Vijayanathar Temple, Thiruvijayamangai -Padal Petra Temple
- Sri Vijayanathar Temple, Thiruvijayamangai,Padal Petra Temple
- Innambur Shiva Temple – Padal
- Sri Saatchinathar Temple, Thirupurambiyam
- Vilvaneshwarar Temple, Thiruvaikavur,Padal Petra Temple
- Vada Kurangaduthurai temple – padal
- Thiruvisanallur Shiva Temple -PAdal
- Sri Karkadeswarar Temple -padal
- Apath Sahayeswarar Temple (Siva Temple), Aduthurai – padal
- Thirukodeeswarar Temple, Tirukodikaval – padal
- Thirukozhambam Shiva Temple,Padal Petra Temple
- Sri Shanbakaranyeshwarar Temple,Padal Petra Temple
- Thiruneelakkudi Shiva Temple – padal
- Shri Natarajar Temple, Konerirajapuram, padal
- Thiru Anniyur Shiva Temple, padal
- Karuveli Sarguna Natheswarar Temple, (very big temple pond)- padal
- Thiruveezhimizhalai Shiva Temple (big temple) -padal
- Thirumarugal Shiva Temple
- Uthrapatheeshwaraswamy Temple, Thiruchengattangudi
- Nannilam Shiva Temple
- Thirukondeswaram Shiva Temple
- Thirupanaiyur Shiva Temple
- Thirupugalaur Vardhamaneswarar Temple
I am stopping the list at 45, I have covered list of important temples as far as I could go near Tiruvaiyaru and Mayiladuthurai and Thiruvarur routes. Some temples does not come under Kumbakonam Pincode, yet given the list because some are nearby temples.
Must Visit Famous Lord Shiva Temples around Kumbakonam Once in Lifetime
- Gangai Konda Cholapuram Thiru Brihadeswarar Thirukkovil
- Sri Kampahareswar Temple, Tirubhuvanam
- Sri Mayuranathar Temple – Mayiladuthurai
- Vaithiyanatha swamy temple (Sevvai Stalam) -Vaitheeswarankoil
- Sirkazhi Shiva Temple – Sirkazhi
- Sri Abhirami Amirthakadeswarar Temple – Thirukadaiyur
- Sri Dharbaranyeswara Swamy Temple (Saturn Temple) – Tirunallar
- Thiruvarur Shiva Temple – Thiruvarur
- Sri Aiyarappar Temple – Tiruvaiyaru
- Thanjavur Big Temple
- Thillai Nataraja Temple, Chidambaram
The above temple lists are the very popular Lord Shiva temples in the major districts around Kumbakonam. We have covered all the temples during our long bike trip in the year 2017 and 2018.
Since the accommodation and food is satisfactory beyond expectation we stayed in Kumbakonam and travelled to the above mentioned places except Chidambaram.
For Chidambaram temple, we stayed there itself, went sightseeing to Pichavaram Mangrove forest.
How We Covered Many Temples in a Day
Though we had stayed for more than a week in Kumbakonam in our 11 days long trip in 2017, we had crazy plans to cover as many temples we could in a day possible.
Since we had plans to travel to nearby towns like Sirkazhi, Mayavaram, Thanjavur, Thiruvaiyaru, Mannargudi, Trichy etc.for the other famous temples in those 1 week, we covered as many temples as we could.
We covered many temples as we could because of the following 2 reasons
- We raised early, we were in the temple for the first pooja. We visited temples until their closing time 12 noon. Needless to worry about the food, as you will get plenty of good choices along the way. Also, Lord shiva temples are open for darshan as early as 6am, but Lord Vishnu temples are open early but early morning darshan time varies depending on the temple. Sometimes you would have to wait until 8 am. So to be smart, we first visited Shiva temples, then after breakfast went to darshan Vishnu temples.
- We went in Bike, and it’s just the two of us. Both our energy level matched and we loved every single day of non-stop travelling and visiting temples. We had a tank bag where we kept our SLR, mobiles, chargers, power banks and water bottles to keep the trip plan smooth. We never in a day deviated from our plan, thanks to my 10 days of research and planning.